Admissions Policies and Procedures
Admissions forms may be downloaded from the Documents section of the website.
PLEASE NOTE: The first day of classes may be delayed for any student applying between July 15 and the first day of school for the upcoming school year. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Priority for admission to Sacred Heart School is determined in the order described below:
- Students currently enrolled at Sacred Heart School in Pre-Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
- Siblings of students currently enrolled at Sacred Heart School in Pre-Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
- Applicants who are parishioners at Sacred Heart Church, Holy Rosary Church, St. Thomas Church, and St. Fabian Church and children of faculty members
- Catholic applicants from parishes other than those listed above.
- Non-Catholic applicants.
Admission to all grades will be determined by the Sacred Heart Catholic School Admissions Council. The council reviews individual Applications for Admission, teacher recommendations, grades, and standardized test scores, to reach a decision. Parents are notified of the decision of the council by the Admissions Coordinator. Upon enrollment in Sacred Heart School the parents and child agree to abide by its rules and policies.
Steps for Admission to Sacred Heart
- Submit an Application for Admission and the following items:
- Certified state birth certificate
- Applicable teacher recommendation forms
- Previous school year’s report card. If applying for admission during the school year, the most recent report cards or progress reports should be submitted in addition those from the previous year.
- Most recent standardized test scores
- $25 non-refundable application fee
- Application is reviewed by Admissions Council.
- Notice is given to parents of the council’s decision.
- Student is enrolled upon payment of the Registration Fee.
Policy Regarding Re-Admission of Students
Re-admission to Sacred Heart Catholic School is at the sole discretion of the School’s Principal, and the Admissions Council. The school reserves the right to refuse re-admission of any student for reasons including but not limited to the following: lack of academic progress, discipline concerns, protection, safety, and well-being of the student body and/or faculty and staff.
Transfer Student Policy
- Out-of-Town Transfers:
Students transferring from a school outside the Hattiesburg area (outside a 30 mile radius of Sacred Heart Catholic School) may apply for admission at any time during the school year.
- In-Town Transfers:
Students from the local area (within a 30 mile radius of Sacred Heart Catholic School) may apply for admission at any time during the first semester. In-town transfer students must be approved by the Admissions Council prior to the end of the first semester.
- Students from schools not accredited by the State of Mississippi:
Students applying for admission to Sacred Heart Elementary or High School from a school which is not accredited by the State of Mississippi Department of Education must be tested.* This includes students who wish to transfer from schools accredited by the Mississippi Association of Independent Schools.
- Home schooled students:
To apply for admission to Sacred Heart Catholic School, home schooled students must meet the following requirements:
- The student must provide proof of enrollment in a recognized home schooling program.
- Documentation in the form of a transcript and/or grade report from the program must be provided.
- Admissions testing* will be required.
*Sacred Heart School tests for grade and/or subject placement. Sacred Heart School does not test for Carnegie units. Testing will either be a standardized achievement test(s) or teacher-made special subject test(s) to determine the appropriate classification of the student. Notice of the administering of such test(s) shall be given to the applicant not less than five days prior to the date of the administration of each test, unless agreed upon by the parent and school officials.
Non-Discrimination Policy & Title IX Compliance
In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1962 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Sacred Heart School in Hattiesburg, MS assures that no one shall, on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, or handicap be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the school.
Sacred Heart School is in compliance with the requirements of Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, which prohibits sex discrimination in Federally-assisted education programs. Title IX states:
“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
Requirements for Enrollment
Upon acceptance to Sacred Heart Catholic School, the following items will be required for enrollment:
- Withdrawal letter from previous school or preschool
- Certificate of Baptism (Catholic students only)
- Immunization certificate from the state of Mississippi Dept. of Health (Form 121)The following immunizations are required for all students:- DPT (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping Cough)
– B. Red Measles
– MMR Vaccine. The MS State Dept. of Health enforces a 2nd dose MMR requirement.
– Chicken Pox
– Tdap (incoming 7th graders only)
- Copy of the child’s social security card (optional)
- A contract with FACTS tuition payment service or tuition paid in full.
- High School Placement Test for students applying to Sacred Heart Catholic High School (7th-12th).
- Transcript Release form to be sent to previous school